Thursday, July 2, 2009

Budapest and the Journey to Krakow

Train station in the middle of nowhere where I finally hitched the ride to Krakow.
That would be me looking astonished. Don't worry I shaved today :)

t Gardens up near the castle. It was a beautiful day!
Kids playing soccer. Soccer is huge over here, it is played everywhere.
Up near the castle, overlooking the Danube and Chain bridge.


Buda castle. which is being restored or renovated. Pretty cool

Soviet theme, many Hungarians were sent to the gulags or forced labor camps. Sad chapter in Hungarian history.
The many people that lost their lives during the Soviet takeover. Grim reality!

Wow! I have finally arrived in Krakow, never thought I would get here, that is a story in itself. I have certainly learned a lot about myself in the last few days. I am a lot more resilient than I give myself credit for.
Alright first to yesterday morning in Budapest. I woke up early and had some breakfast at the hostel. The hostel was another great place, absolutely great service, clean and welcoming. I am very happy thus far with my choices as far as the hostels are concerned. I headed out to the terror museum in Budapest. I read about in Rick Steves book so I figured it was worth seeing. Also I needed to learn more about Hungary and its role in World War 2 and the communist era. The museum was a very sombering experience that really reaffirmed how terrible life was during the Soviet era. The thousands of people that lost their lives just for speaking out is a reminder to me that we need to be thankful for living the US. The Hungarians suffered a lot, however some of the their population contributed to the suffering. The museum was a great museum but sad. At the end of the tour they take you down into the cellar which are recreated prison cells, beating rooms and torture chambers. Each room has many pictures showing the people that lost their lives in rooms just like those. Somber to say the least. After the museum I decided to head to Buda castle, which is not much of a castle. However it does have some of the remaining structure and provides amazing views of the city. I took the metro up there then began my workout of walking for hours. First I had to walk up the hill then I walked all around the city. It was a nice day so I enjoyed the exercise and the sun. I saw a lot by foot and got better with finding my way around town. One thing that disturbed me was coming upon a fenced in area with policemen. Well I get my camera out ready to take a picture of this nearby interesting building with amazing architecture and I start getting yelled at by the Hungarian police. I put my camera away and approach them and ask them what is the problem. They inform me that their are no pictures to be taken of the American embassy. I inform them I never had any intention of taking a picture of the embassy and infact did not know that it was even there. Our embassies show how much fear and dislike their is of us in the world. In Bratislava we have put up ugly fencing all around one of the nicest buildings in the city which is of course our embassy. This of course is looked down upon by the people. I don't know, it is certainly sad and shows the current state of affairs.
I left Budapest around 5:30 p.m. I enjoyed the city and wished I had more time to spend there. I saw a lot and was pleased with that but one whole day was not enough to see everything. But it was time to move on and I was excited to get to Krakow. From everyone I have talked to Krakow is one of their favorite sites. So I am on the train to some small town in Hungary thinking to myself how exciting it will be to get to Krakow and see the country where one side of my family is from. Nothing ever comes easy is what I have learned. Hungarys train system is messed up and organized. On top of that not many people speak English here, especially in the countryside. Needless to say I get on a train that left at the same time as the one I was supposed to get on. Well guess what I got on the wrong train, end up at some station in the middle of nowhere and try to figure out what next. I go to the counter and try to tell the lady I need to go to Krakow. She informs me I need to go here, then here, then here, then here. Craziness!!!! I end up in another train station in the middle of nowhere at midnight. Great no one is here, so I walk into some office get some guy upset and explain as best I could, for he knew no English, that I need to get to Krakow. He tells me it will be leaving at 1:13 am. The time comes and no train, he then tells me it will come at 2. So at 2 in the morning I get on a train and arrive to Krakow three hours late. I got here at nine this morning. You know what though? I remained calm and told myself I would get there. I was impressed like I mentioned for I communicated as best as I could got some help and ended up in my destination. It is just another learning experience amongst many for me on this trip. I feel like I have gotten better at problem solving, staying calm, moving on and making the best of a situation. I am so thankful for these experiences that I believe had made me a better man.
Gotta go, I have changed my train ticket to leave Krakow to tomorrow night rather than tomorrow morning. This way I will get to see Auschwitz today and experience Krakow tonight and tommorow for the whole day. I apologize for all the grammatical errors however I dont have much time and do not revise what I write. SORRY!

3 comments:

  1. Kristi Brand-NeurothJuly 2, 2009 at 10:19 AM

    What an adventure! I am learning so much through your blog and wish I would have stayed longer as well. I am curious to hear about Auschwitz tomorrow. Be safe and continue to seize every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    Navigating through the so-called civilized world can be quite challenging, especially when no one speaks English. I am so glad you took this trip. We will have a lot to talk about when you get back to school. I am still blown away by your neo-nazi experience.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I was just now able to catch up on how your trip is going- I can't wait to hear about your experience with Auschwitz. Thanks for sharing all this with us. I hope the rest of your trip is exciting. Safe travels and let Paul know when you're back in the area for some golfing!
    (-: Stacie

    ReplyDelete