Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hamburg, Lubeck and Newt Gingrich

Lubeck
That was my sweet ride in Lubeck. A little hard to get into though!

Beautiful courtyard in Lubeck. Lubeck and Schwerin have been my favorite towns.



Elderly lady watering her flowers on a quiet Sunny day. Where is Newt?









This is a picture in front of the city gate. Try to attack this structure.



Side street in ancient city of Lubeck. The store down the street makes marionettes or puppets.






This club is the sight of the place where the Beatles began.








Bomb shelter during the war in Hamburg. Place for people to go to so they would be safe. Obviously the windows were not there. Much of Hamburg was destroyed during the war.








We took a boat ride around the port of Hamburg. Unfortunately the weather did not hold up. Greg and Heather still had a good time though.










That would be me in front of the Rathaus. The Rathaus is the sight of the city and state government.








Hello all, this will be our third night in Hamburg. I have not been able to post due to being busy. The first night we had a late dinner so I was not able to post that night. Last night we went around the city checking out the sights so that took up my time.
So here I go. Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany. It was a part of the Hanseatic League. Which basically was an organization of European trading cities. Hamburg being one of the key ones. Hamburg has been completely rebuilt. There was a major fire that destroyed the city in 1842. The city was then rebuilt and demilished during the second world war. Hamburg was and is a very important port city with access to the Baltic therefore it has strong ties to the Scandinavian countries.
Our first day in Hamburg, yesterday, when went on a boat cruise and had a walking tour of the city. The weather has been sporadic to say the least, rainy then sunny then rainy again. Ugh. The seat of the city government is an incredible building, it is located in a famous plaza on the river. Pictures will be forthcoming, struggling with the USB adapter right now. Stay tuned. We then had lunch in a hip part of town where there are many lefties and anarchists. Lefties are liberals or people that want change and have their own ideas on how to create that change. Anarchists are people that oppose the government and want to completely change or cause problems with the government. It was an interesting part of town. We were given some free time after lunch. Greg, Tom and I tried to rent some bikes but that did not end up panning out. Probably a good thing because the guy at the hotel lobby said this was a difficult place to ride bikes in. I ended up doing some shopping and bought a pair of jeans and a shirt. Dont ask me why I didnt bring a pair. Certainly should have. They were inexpensive which surprised me, stylish too.
Last night we went to the opera. Only the second time I have been to the opera. It was a great experience and a great show. We saw the Barber of Seville, it was funny and had great classical music. It was of course in Italian but we could follow along somewhat. We all got dressed up and looked dapper in our outfits. We then went exploring out on the town afterwards and had a great time meeting local and checking out the local scene.
Today was awesome. It was a day I knew I would enjoy before the trip. We went to a very medieval city called Lubeck. I wish I could show you the pictures today but you will have to wait. Maybe I will do it at the hotel computer which is a little too expensive for my taste. Once again I digress. We took a train ride to Lubeck which is 45 minutes from Hamburg. At the entrance of the city is a famous imposing gate which allowed or prevented people from entering the city. The city is surrounded by a river which as you can imagine was great for defensive purposes. Well we are walking around the gate and Henry our tour leader mentions to me, that guy looks like Newt Gingrich. Sure enough I am thinking to myself that does look a lot like me. Well no one wants to ask so I go up to him and say excuse me are you Newt Gingrich and answers yes I am. Can you believe we saw and met Newt Gingrich in the little town of Lubeck. I introduced myself and a couple of us got pictures with him. I apologized for disrupting him and we went on our little merry way. We had a wonderful day viewing historic German and European architecture. We saw many cute houses with wonderful flowers and courtyards. There are also many historic churches that are awe inspiring. All in all just a fantastic day. Except for one thing, the torrential downpours. The weather as I mentioned leaves something to be desired for.
Tommorrow we head to another school and Hamburg university. Adios till next time

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim, I was in Hamburg with 30 VT students in 1999. We had a fine experience for two days.
    Small world when you meet Newt Gingrich on a street in Hamburg!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete