Friday, June 19, 2009

Schwerin

Students at the elementary school we visited today. Exactly how I remember it.
View from the castle to the town. Amazingly charming city. I could see myself living here.


In front of the Schloss. I had a great time checking the castle out.






Schwerin

Well I finally feel like I experienced the true Germany that I have been searching for. After the leaving the internet cafe we went down to the city center. It was enchanting and charming, exactly what I was looking for after leaving Berlin. Schwerin is the capital of Mecklenberg Pomerania. It is the site of the famous Schloss castle located on a tiny island with a moat around it. We walked around the city center for a little until we came upon the imposing castle in the background. To me this was the most incredible structure I have ever seen. I was captivated the instant I saw it. I paid my six euros and headed for heaven. I had such a great time checking out the various rooms. It was rather overwhelming and amazing for me. Thinking of the history and seeing the extravagant rooms was very satisfing for me. After touring the castle I walked all around it. I then headed to another part of town and had a great time just walking where I wanted. Everything has been planned and organized so it was nice to have some time to do what I wanted. I stopped in a little restaurant and had a great chat with the owner. I have had an amazing time just talking to the locals. I am very much looking forward to talking to random people when I begin my travels.

Today we went to an elementary school and sat in on classes. It was exactly how I remembered elementary school. The teachers are amazing and really show a lot of interest in their students. We also had a great time conversing with the teachers and discussing similarities and differences between our education system. We then went to a technical center which was a little on the boring side. Our last activity was a visit with the economic development corporation. I enjoyed the presentation by the gentlemen. He is actually part American. His father was stationed in Germany for the US army and met his mother, a German. He gave us a presentation on the various industries and attractions in the county of Mecklenberg Pomerania. It was interesting.
We are about to head out in another hour to Hamburg. Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany. I kind of wish we were visiting another small town. But I am sure we will have a great time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tim. sounds like another fantastic day. The castle is tremendous. It is Friday I just got home from work. We leave for the Bahamas tomorrow morning. I will strive to check out your blog while on board. Talking to strangers is part of the fabric of life !

    ReplyDelete